Friday, August 12, 2011

ReFashion #10

Happy Friday! Today I would like to show you how I refashioned the adorable flower printed skirt I wore in my last post. It wasn't influenced by a trend, but I still think it's super cute! 

Printed Skirt, Goodwill, $6

I started off with this thrifted oversize skirt...

...that I was drawn to because of the pretty flower print.

I used one of my favorite Forever21 skirts as a template for my new skirt.

This skirt has four equivalent panels. 

I measured each side of the panel...

...& transferred the measurement onto some large newsprint. Newspaper works just as well. 

Then I cut my thrifted skirt down one seam...

...to get this. 

I cut off the elastic band...

& then I had a large flat piece of fabric to work with. 

Using the pattern, I cut 4 panels from the fabric & made sure to leave a 5/8 inch seam allowance. 

Here are the four panels. 

I don't have pictures for the rest of the procedure, so I'll just describe what I did: 

I sewed the panels together except for one side seam where a zipper would be inserted. I added some interfacing to the top 2 inches of the skirt and enclosed it in fabric so there would be a stable, defined waistband. The Forever21 skirt has some pleating at the waist, so I added some similar pleats. Lastly, I inserted an invisible zipper at the side seam and finished off the hem. I know this is an extensive refashion. I suppose the reason I get a lil carried away is because I want to transform garments so that ppl will never guess it was thrifted. Have a great weekend everyone! -C.C.


8 comments:

  1. okay, so this is super cute and crafty!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I could definitely see from the first picture the potential of the skirt, especially the pattern, and I just so happen to LOVE that color to death!! It turned out wonderfully! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I wish I had sewing skills like that! I just give everything to my grandma when I want thinks adjusted. Thanks for stopping my blog <3

    Aryn
    Driftwood and Daydreams

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the hardest part of re-fashioning is the beginning steps and you've done a beautiful job at showing them. It really helps! You did a fantastic job on the new skirt. :)

    ReplyDelete